Have you seen the cool new playground structure yet? It’s worth your time if you haven’t walked to the west side of the building. Thanks to a lot of parents and some great partners, your kids will soon have an amazing new thing to climb on. You can read the newly-updated site plan if you want to see how the playground will be transformed. In the meantime, here’s a quick update about our progress:
Sept. 14 & 15 – A very successful community install. We had over 60 volunteers who stayed for a total of 205 hours to help build the structure. Thank you! Thanks again to PCC Fremont, Eltana Bagels, Trader Joe’s in Ballard and Starbucks Fremont for donating food, snacks and coffee for our volunteers.
- Coming weeks: Multi-sport hoops (see photo above) will be installed in the next 2 weeks. These will go in the basketball court just south of the new play area. The contractor will continue working on the site, finishing work in areas around the edge of the play area and sport court.
- Monday 9/30 – prep work and installation of the embankment slide and associated safety surfacing to begin (this goes on the north slope of the play area, between the big boulders)
- Wednesday, Oct. 2 – placement of filter fabric over the drain rock in the play area. This needs to be done right before the wood chips are blown in. We need 6-8 people to help with this effort, starting at 9am on October 2. Should take about 2 hours. Please contact Kristin Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help.
- Friday, Oct. 4 & Monday, Oct. 7: Woodchips will be blown in by a big blower truck (should be fun to watch)
- Mid- to late-October: Playground open for use! Tell your kids!
Landscaping and planting will happen later this Fall. We don’t have a date chosen yet, but we will be looking for volunteer help for this effort.