B.F. Day Exterior Grounds Improvement Project
– Construction happening this summer in the front of the school!
In June 2013, the exterior grounds improvement project was awarded a grant from the state capital budget. Thank you to B.F. Day parent Whitney Knoerlein for leading the charge and connecting the project to a sponsor (Rep. Richard DeBolt) in the state legislature. Due to her efforts the project received $152,290. Some of those funds were used to help finish Phase 1 of the Playground Project (new play area, sport court and garden beds on the west side of the school). Most of the grant will be used to complete improvements in the front of the school, including new bike racks, 2 gathering areas with seating and pavers with historical information about the school (See the Site Plan for more details).
We have hired a general contractor and are preparing to mobilize for construction in the days just after school ends. Construction is expected to take approximately 6-8 weeks and will be done before school starts in the fall. There should be some good excavator viewing the early weeks if your kiddos enjoy that kind of thing.
- The front lawn and main center doors will be closed during construction.
- North door (by office and K classrooms) will be open.
- Some of the parking spots in the north lot will be dedicated for contractor use.
- The northwest corner of the playground (where soccer games usually occur) will be used as a staging area for the contractor.
- For the most part, the play areas will be open for use. There will be short period of time at some point when the new play is closed off so the contractor can add some drainage improvement underneath all those wood chips.
If you have any questions or concerns about construction or the project in general, please contact Kristin Anderson at email@example.com.