- It presents childcare challenges, with the most mentioned concern being the additional cost. It will also add complexity to work/family schedules. Many families indicated that they would have to find childcare before and after school.
- The late start and therefore late end, would make it difficult for children to have enough time to do homework, participate in after school activities and engage as a family on weeknights.
- The late start and late end are not conducive for learning for children ages 5-11. Many children will be up early anyway (either because they naturally wake early or because they will have to leave early with their parents to childcare). Being in class until 4pm will be exhausting for young children.
- The data is lacking to support this option. Younger children wake earlier, should start school earlier. Older kids naturally sleep later and should start school later. Plus, older kids can be home by themselves in the morning and get themselves to school. Younger children cannot.
- The late start presents additional challenges for special needs children, which comprises more than 6% of our student population. The exact comment made was “Our son has significant special needs and is in the SM3 classroom. If the start/end time changed, we would need both before and after school care for our son, which would present a significant hardship. It is not easy for a special needs child to cope with the multiple transitions imposed by before and after school care.”
Donate to Direct Drive!Direct Drive is the PTSA’s single largest fundraiser of the year. We ask once during two weeks in the Fall, and hope that everyone who can give chooses to do so and support our school. This year, Direct Drive is from November 7-18. Read more about Direct Drive, and help support your school and your kids. Donate online by clicking here:
Upcoming Important Dates
11/16 Picture re-take day
11/16 Early Release 12:05 pm
11/14-18 American Education Week
11/21-23 No School for students - conferences
11/24-25 No school for Thanksgiving Recess
12/8 New Family Tour 9:00am
12/15 Holiday Sing Along and Music/Drama Performances
5/20/17 Save the Date! B.F. Day's 125th Anniversary Celebration! Details to follow.