Monday, May 9 (6:30-8:00p in the Library) is the final general PTSA membership meeting of the year, and it’s an important one. PTSA members who attend will vote on the proposed budget and new board officers for next year, as well as a revision to the PTSA Standing Rules. Please attend if you can.
You’ll find the proposed budget here. This budget was drafted and discussed by the PTSA board, and incorporates input from Principal Jaskot and the teaching staff, as well as the data submitted by the membership in the survey sent out earlier this year. Items of note for your review:
- We propose income (fundraising) of about the same amount as this year (nearly $80,000).
- Proposed increase for an expanded music/performing arts program (more of what we did this year)
- Expansion of the Writers in the Schools program to include all grades
- Increase in funding for family support
- Support for an all-school field trip to see Mr. D’s play next Spring!
Professional development funds for teacher training
Take a look! Only PTSA members can vote, but input from all parents is welcome.
Board Officers & Other Roles for Next Year
At the meeting, we’ll formally vote on the current slate of board officers. As is often the case at the May meeting, we don’t have every role filled yet, but will between now and the Fall. If you are interested in any of the open roles, please contact Steve Albertson.
- President: Daniella Kim has graciously agreed to serve!
- Vice President: Open. Assists President and performs President’s duties in President’s absence. Attends all board meetings, and participates in PTSA decision-making.
- Treasurer: Rosie Donovan (2nd term! Yay!)
- Secretary: Open. Takes minutes and records all business transacted at each PTSA meeting (board and general membership) . Participate in board decision-making and other duties as assigned.
Other PTSA Roles: We are a community of “doers”, and there are lots of ways you can get involved in short-term roles or longer-term responsibilities. I guarantee you there is something you can do that is valuable and will work within your time constraints and interests. Here is a full list of roles you can choose from, and below are some that are either filled or for which we need more volunteers:
- Fundraising: Steve Albertson (seeking help with Direct Drive in the Fall, Easy Everyday Fundraising and grant-writing)
- Communications: Becky Smith (seeking tech-savvy help for web site, email newsletter and other systems)
- Enrichment/After School Programs: Adrienne James (seeking other to help)
- Advocacy/Legislative Chair: Help organize parents to advocate for (or against) policy and District issues that affect us. This year, the PTSA has worked to prevent reductions in our enrollment boundaries, and fought against teacher reductions.
- Membership Chair: Open. Collect PTSA membership forms (data entry), mostly during September/October.
Take a look at all the positions, and when you see one you’re interested, either contact the people already working in these roles or email Steve Albertson (PTSA board president). And come to the May 9 meeting to learn more! See you then.